View Single Post
Old 09-28-15, 12:52 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 2,158 Times in 559 Posts
Great pics, everyone!

@DrilliumDude, those PNW mountains do look intimidating. Congrats on making it to the top of Artist's Point.

Forgive me for posting the following a day late. I started on my LOOK yesterday but only got about 1.5-miles before my FD snapped off as I tried to shift into the big ring. It reminded me of the thread with examples of broken handlebars which broke in between rides. My FD made it through the last ride without any obvious indications of problems, but gave out immediately during yesterday's ride as soon as I touched the FD shifter. Regretfully the rear wheel kicked the FD into the chain stay and caused a little paint chip. Could have been worse, I suppose...

So then I walked back home and picked up bike #2 for an abbreviated trip into the Berkeley hills.

Nothing wrong with this FD:

This last photo is from Grizzley Peak Blvd. looking down the top of the Marin Ave. climb, a ridiculously steep road that was originally built for a funicular railway (cable-pulled tram). The lowest block starts off at a merciful 13% grade but the upper blocks are in the 20-24% grade range. Even by car, many locals avoid this road, especially in the rain. Limited by old-school gearing, I always go the less steep way around.