Old 09-28-15, 02:53 PM
PharmD
Formerly edwardmatt83

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Steel
Purchased and put into service mid 2013. And keep your CAAD9. Just as good as the CAAD10 or 12.

To sum this up, all products have a defective failure rate. Some higher than others. That's why we have product recalls.

I never requested nor expected a new replacement wheelset. As a matter of fact, the problem was with only one of the wheels. I explained my situation to Boyd and was just waiting to hear what type of solutions existed. All I got was the sales pitch for the new wheelset with a discount. In a follow up email, I explained that I wasn't interested in a wheelset since I only needed one wheel but also brought up the point that the Zipps I had were from the same year/era with twice the mileage and used extensively on climbs and descents. My question was how can this be? Was Boyd using inferior carbon? Was there a bad batch of his wheels that he was hush about? Do you know what his response was.....? Nothing. He never responded back. That said a lot right there.

Back in 2002, I purchased a set of Ritchey WCS DS wheels. It was one of their top offerings at that time. A couple of years later, there were some hairline cracks around one of the nipples on the back wheel. The warranty already expired. Ritchey had me send them the wheel. Three weeks later, a new wheel arrived along with a free set of their titanium skewers. Total cost: $23 in shipping. That's customer service.

All Boyd had to do here was have me send the wheel back for examination. He clearly would have seen that it was a low mileage wheel and something was defective. He could have laced the hub up to an old stock hoop that he has lying around or even a used one. I would have paid up to $200 for parts and labor which seems fair.

In conclusion, I believe Boyd has a good product. If not, he would have been out of business years ago. I just think he needs to look at these types of situations more carefully. Maybe even offer pro-rated warranties.

Not every transaction is going to be highly profitable from the monetary standpoint. But it can be very profitable from the reputation standpoint. I think he missed it here.

Are you done complaining yet?