View Single Post
Old 09-29-15, 06:23 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by fthomas
You can add city buses to the list. Just as dangerous and the drivers do not seem overly concerned about bicycle lanes and cyclist [emphasis mine]. If it is at a bus stop on a street with a bicycle lane I don't pass it. I can sit and wait.
I hope that isn't a problem in your city. If you feel it is so bad that you have to wait behind buses, take some PREEMPTIVE action.

*YOU* *CAN* *FIX* *THIS*. Several cities have training programs for bus operators that have made *HUGE* differences, such as this effort. These days, when I use Write to the Top it's for a commendation of fantastic behavior. I can't remember the last time I had trouble with a public transit bus.

Until then, transit buses are among the most predictable vehicles on the road. They have a finite number of places where they stop. They have a fixed route. Learn both of those and make yourself visible to them. Stay out of their no zone. And if an operator puts *you* into their no zone and pulls to the curb, it's a teachable moment. Report the incident.

During heavy automobile traffic, I'll usually pass several buses - but each one only *ONCE.* Bicycles are often the fastest vehicles during heavy automobile traffic, transit buses with their frequent stops often the slowest.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 09-29-15 at 06:45 AM.