Old 09-30-15, 09:13 AM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrett2
Thanks for the info. I have that book and used that method. I did a warm up, then the 20 minutes, then a cool down. I just recorded them separately so that I could have the FTP test in a single file. I feel like I hit the intensity pretty well on this one. I'd rather ride on the road than the trainer, personally. I live in an area where we can ride all year long, so trainers don't get a lot of use here outside of a structured spin class.
It's the same in my area... but I still do FTP tests on the trainer. For me, it's difficult to find 20 minutes of road where the slope is constant, there aren't any stop lights/stop signs/intersections where you need to slow and the wind is going to be the same every day of the year. Doing tests on the trainer, which is about the only time I use mine, leads to more repeatable results. I think repeatability is important, since you're going to base your entire training routine around this number.

I was hoping someone here knew a little more about using the power meter once the FTP baseline was established, that could offer some tips to go from here. Anyone? I'll keep reading the book as well.
If you're confident in your FTP measurement, then you should use it to calculate your power zones and start doing interval training based on those zones. The sort of intervals and training you do will depend on your riding goals (Sprint faster? Ride longer? Climb higher?). You can probably get detailed training suggestions in the Road or Race forums if you don't want to read the books.