Old 09-30-15, 09:13 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Minton
Gentlemen:

My daddy was from Texas & he was real piece of work. I've visited kin in Texas, several times. I've testified (as an expert) in court in Texas ((the 'judge' was clearly hostile to the plaintiffs (surviving mom & dad) because they were Mexicans)). I've ridden through Texas (motorcycle on the way to Daytona) --- they don't seem to collect their road-kill & object to not being able to kill rabbits for sport anymore because of a disease. I've watched Texas in the news; near-highest out-of-wedlock birth rate, near-lowest high school graduation rate; advocate creationism in school science classes; rampant racism (everyone should own a Mexican and shoot a n****r). Texas was the last state to free 'their' slaves. Hell, they can't even decide what to do about their diminishing water supply. I don't even want to fly over Texas because the plane might have to land there.

Joe
That's the best description of TX that I have ever seen. I took a job in TX at the end of grad school. I lasted less than a month before I decided that I couldn't in good conscience raise my child in such a racist environment. The hydrocarbon cloud that descends on N. TX in the fall was a deal breaker as well. To their credit, they are mighty nice to white folks. When I walked to the grocery store, people would stop in the middle of the road to ask if I needed some assistance. Apparently no one walks in TX by choice.

About that teen birth rate: Front page news several times during the four weeks I lived there was a proposal by the local school board to begin teaching sex education to high school students (in a county that led the nation in teen pregnancy). This was actually controversial. I felt like I had taken a wrong turn at 1950.