View Single Post
Old 10-02-15, 07:25 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Well, that is one end of a spectrum, which I can't knock as long as one has what they need to reasonably complete their tour, but if we do a google search of "loaded touring bikes" it would appear most of the world is carrying at least more bulk, if not more weight.

It's a mish mash mix of geographic locale, willingness to incur cost, desire to be self sufficient and personal ideas of comfort. And some other stuff like what you get a kick out of. I can totally see that, if one enjoyed seeing where they could save weight and wanted to invest in those areas, that going lightweight in gear and bike would fall naturally into place. I like messing around with bikes and so prefer older, cheaper templates to work on. I also have three competing expensive hobbies (videography, saltwater aquariums, diving) so I have to watch my expenditures. Better video lights I need, carbon fiber anything I don't.

No one's right and no one's wrong. I mostly travel alone so as long as I'm willing to peddle my choices it's all good. I would be a little cheesed if I made plans with someone and they either had to bail right away because they were ill prepared or were incredibly slow because they were grossly over weighted. In fact though, that's why I prefer to travel alone. I hate the feeling when I'm on a holiday that I'm beholding to someone else's schedule or expectations.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 10-02-15 at 08:39 AM.