View Single Post
Old 10-02-15, 07:50 AM
sprocketss

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I was looking at the Axiom Journey DLX Ridge Front Rack, but I am concerned about flex and durability for this and the cheaper models, and the price for the Nashbar seems just too good to be true. Newbie resistance to a large upfront outlay is probably penny wise pound foolish though. Adding to the confusion, while I was doing research, I came across this earlier post regarding high and low riders on Bike Forums.

There is a long-held and highly false notion that low riding racks and panniers provide greater stability. In normal touring and riding conditions the potentially lower center of gravity of low riding panniers has extremely little effect on bicycle performance. Enhanced bicycle performance, as it relates to racks and panniers, is far more closely related to other factors. To understand this you will have to be open to the fact that various combinations of racks, panniers and bicycles have an extremely wide range of potential in relation to overall stability or performance. It’s due to the fact that some bicycles have frames that are built to carry weight far more effectively than other frames. Certain panniers are dramatically more stable than other panniers, and have far more sophisticated means of distributing the weight of gear. Some racks are of far more sophisticated designs than others. And there is a wide range in potential performance that is simply related to how well racks attach to bicycles. In short, performance is highly design- or gear-specific, with some combinations of racks, panniers and bicycles performing far superior to others, regardless of the vertical placement of the front panniers.
http://www.bikeforums.net/touring/70...igh-rider.html

But stylistically, the front lowriders look cool .