View Single Post
Old 10-02-15, 08:03 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
the nashbar one is pretty much a copy of the old Blackburn lowrider. I've had a Blackburn one since about 1990 or 91 and with a reasonable front load--I have always preferred to have light stuff up front, so maybe 15lbs total--it has worked fine for the paved touring I have always done.
I think the main issue here is how much weight you will put on front racks, I've always tended to put rain gear in one front pannier with some other light stuff, and in the other my cooking stuff, so not a lot of weight. As I said, I prefer how a bike steers with a lighter front end, with the added bonus that the front rack is not getting a hard workout.
It stands to reason that riding a lot on rough surfaces and/or having a lot more weight up front, perhaps a sturdier rack would be better, but my experience has shown that an aluminum rack like the nashbar one can work perfectly well----
*I havent seen the nashbar one, but it looks very much like the Blackburn one, which I believe is still sold.
*Ortlieb panniers cannot fit on my Blackburn because of the design of the rack, the top of the rack doesnt allow the clip system to "enclose" the top bar, as Ortlieb system needs fully exposed round rack tubes to mount onto--notice in the nashbar photo, there is a black piece of sheet metal that runs along the entire top rack rod, so works fine for "U-hook" style panniers that the U thing can sit over the top rod, but not the "enclosing" type system that Ortlieb has always had for their two top mounting hardware.

ps-I had thought of drilling holes in the metal piece that runs along the top rod, to allow the Ortliebs to go on, but figured it wasnt worth doing as I was going to buy a new front rack in any case, and still use the old rack sometimes so didnt want to take any risks reducing the rigidity of it--although I feel comfortable that small notches just wide enough to allow Ortliebs would have little effect on its strength.

Last edited by djb; 10-02-15 at 08:13 AM. Reason: clarifying and adding stuff