View Single Post
Old 10-02-15, 08:55 AM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Well, that is one end of a spectrum, which I can't knock as long as one has what they need to reasonably complete their tour, but if we do a google search of "loaded touring bikes" it would appear most of the world is carrying at least more bulk, if not more weight.
People Google "loaded touring" and come up with the set ups you describe and think that's how you have to tour. It's self reinforcing.

When I tour basically every other tourist I meet is surprised that I have a CF bike and just a handlebar bag and a saddlebag and have everything I need to camp and cook. They tend to have heavy touring bikes with 4x panniers etc (probably because that's how they've always done it or if they are new because thats how Google told them to do it). I'm an old fat guy, but end up climbing faster than stronger and younger riders because I have less weight to push up the hills.

You don't need to spend a lot of money to go lightweight. A steel or Al road bike is fine and packing sensibly rather than buying a lot of high tech gear can quickly reduce what and how much you carry. Clothing is a prime example where people just pack far too much.

Last edited by nun; 10-02-15 at 09:00 AM.