View Single Post
Old 10-02-15, 02:32 PM
DrMarkR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Laying out the replacement leather...

I then bolt it up to an old seatpost that I can put in the vice...makes it easier to work. I use 3M "77" strength spray adhesive and put some paper towels down around the base to keep off the overspray. I put a coat on the leather, and the foam/seat edges, and then stretch the leather tight as I apply it. You do not need a thick piece of leather, in my experience. This piece as quite thin, as you can see here:

I forgot to take pics as I worked the underside (my apologies...) but I then take it off the seatpost and trim it using a razor blade to approx 3/4" all around. I then cover the middle portion of the inner base, and the rails, with masking tape. Using the spray adhesive I give the edges of the leather and the edges of the seat base a nice coat, let it set up for a few minutes, and the aggressively stretch the leather and adhere it to the base. This takes some patience and perseverance to get it down smooth. You don't want a lot of leather wrapping to the base....just 3/8 of an inch or so. Trim it as needed. The finished product, along with a pic of another saddle I did some time ago in a pigskin:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20150807_142607.jpg (96.5 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg
20150930_202249.jpg (64.9 KB, 132 views)