View Single Post
Old 10-02-15, 06:07 PM
poprad

Bikes: 07 Vanilla, 98 IRD road frame built up with 25th Ann DA, Surly cross check with 105 comp, 78 Raleigh Comp GS, 85 Centurionelli

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 191 Posts
Orange is the New Black

So lo these many years I have admired the orange beauties on this forum, wondering "oh when will I ever own an orange autumnal bike?" Then I took a good, hard look at my stable and realized my 90s Team Fuji was in need of a repaint. $250 later and she's been reborn as a Fuji Special Road Racer. Kind of a Faux-ji, since it was a Team Fuji frame. Why go with a lower-grade decal set? Easy; Velocals had 'em. And my past experience indicated Velocals is not quick to respond to special orders. Also, I really like the font and colors used with this 70s decal set, and it goes quite well with the new paint. So, enough of talk, talk is cheap.

The before:

[IMG]Fuji...before pic by Mark, on Flickr[/IMG]

And the after:

[IMG]Faux-ji Special Road Racer by Mark, on Flickr[/IMG]

Pics don't really do it justice; it's a gorgeous color. A light pearlescent orange with a 40s Harley D. cream white panel set. I read Velocals warnings about waiting 2 weeks to allow the paint to fully breathe, but I'm not a patient man when it's raining outside and I have a new bike build looming. Off to the shop; chase and face, install headset. Once I got home I cracked open a frosty mug of happy and thought "I'll just install the fork," then "I'll just do the one cool frame decal above the shifters. " You know the rest.

Tapped the existing rivet holes and used real srcews for the headbadge, just feels better.

Compass SKF BB, every bit as durable as advertised. I have no idea how many hard, rainy Euro miles are on this one, but I hammered the hell out of it for the past 3 years and it still feels brand new.

So there it is, orangey-goodness with several parts installed. More to come as I prep her for the first return to the asphalt. The running gear was all sorted long ago; 7400 DA wheelset, Sachs-Huret Aris 7 speed drivetrain, 600 AX stem and post, nice kit but not stellar. Perfect for this build.

If you're in the DC area and looking for a shop to rebop your mid-range frame East Coast Refinishing in Manassas did this. It's not a top-shelf paint job, there's some tiny imperfections, but it's just the right quality for this frame and build. Nice folks too, and happy to do odd jobs like bike frames.

Last edited by poprad; 10-02-15 at 06:15 PM.