View Single Post
Old 10-02-15, 08:54 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
I was hoping the first para might be more amusing than anything. I have deliberately made attempts to say that other peoples choices are as valid as mine are. I certainly don't think I hold all the answers.
I also make some of the choices you are suggesting. For me, on the last trip, it was realizing I really don't need my cooking gear. I don't like cooking on the road, can put up with cold beans or bagels and hate washing pots of sticky stuff. Coffee I can buy on the road. So that eliminates (or frees up) a lot of space that probably means less pannier.
OTOH, I don't like to skimp on clothing. I really only bring two riding sets (I wash one in the shower with me and let it dry while wearing the other) but I do want rain gear and a warm warm top layer (plus mittens and a toque). Being cold wet and miserable is the shortest way to a bail I know of.
I also dislike clutter and am probably more anal than most about using something and putting it back where it belongs.

In many ways I suspect most of us share more values in common than apart and only really disagree in terms of degrees. Which, of course, on the internet get blown out of proportion. IRL, I never have discussions about how much a bike weighs other than general interest in an unusual design feature like a recumbent.
Touring is a very personal thing so obviously we all do it the way we want. But sometimes I feel that there are misconceptions about lightweight and ultralight touring. These usually revolve around it being a style that involves less comfort. In fact I find it more comfortable because the bike riding is easier and more fun and I have everything I need to cook, camp and stay warm. I drink tea so I make sure I have Earl Grey teabags and will brew up a couple of cups at night when I'm camping. As for clothes I carry one change of riding clothes (that are ok to wear off the bike too), long convertible pants, rain pants, rain jacket, warm jacket, gloves, balaclava, kung fu shoes. All my gear fits in a Carradice Camper saddlebag and an Ortlieb Classic handlebar bag and weights 19 lbs.