Old 10-02-15, 11:31 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Araya road rims, some of them, had abbreviated bead hooks that were mere semi-circular nubs, and many a tire blew off of these rims as the bead hook failed to retain the bead. I had both folding and wired-on tires blow off these rims following extended hard braking, and have even had tires blow off Araya road rims while a bike wasn't being used.

This was particularly problematic with aged tires, whose beads apparently no longer had such a grippy surface layer of rubber to assist with retention.

I've also had quite a few Araya rims with a serious variation of thickness at the brake tracks near the rim joint, seemingly caused by the sleeve being pressed in with too much interference. Very difficult to correct!
Araya MTB rims with welded joint also had a reverse version of this problem, as the heat-affected metal near the joint would wear thin much faster than the rest of the rim, resulting in heavy braking thump.

I'm happiest with Araya's steel rims, which seem to be among the smoothest (in terms of braking) of any such rims ever made.