View Single Post
Old 10-03-15, 04:35 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Yes, but if you took all the stuff off his bike it would still fill two traditional panniers; it's just distributed all over the place. There is also something to be said for the difference between what someone with a lot of experience does compared to once or twice in a while tourers. There is also something to be said for what one starts off with compared to what one ends with. Is that the load he started out with early in the year in Alaska?
I had an army buddy who did the West Coast Trail in the nude, about as light weight as you can go. I would not suggest that equipment list to others.
Of course, you are absolutely right. Redistribution doesn't always mean lighter than what would be normally in two panniers and a handlebar bag. In some ways, there is just a little more to go wrong with the bike as illustrated, as there are more rub points directly on the bike itself, and more straps or clamps to secure the bags to the bike.

And from the photo, I am fascinated as to exactly what sort of butt issues the guy has, what with the funny saddle and suspension seatpost, all on a fat bike.