View Single Post
Old 10-03-15, 05:39 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by LlamaBikes
Just wondering how long those who do ultralight stay on the road before returning home? More than a few months? Many of those who do RTW attempts have a relatively fully loaded setup, so at what point does the extra gear become more necessary or common?
I think that the number of folks who ultralight tour is too small for them to be a major portion of the general touring community or of any given segment. So any segment you look at is likely to have way more folks who tour fully loaded than ultralight. I often read about folks going ultralight, but actually see very few on the road who are going ultralight. BTW, I find the same thing with backpacking.

I tend to like to go no less than 9 days and not much more than 10-12 weeks, but that has nothing to do with my going ultralight. I am just ready to go home after a couple months. I could just as well go indefinitely with what I carry, but have no desire to do so.

Is it easier to tour ultralight in some areas of the world than others?
Probably. I'd think that location of the tour is more likely to be a reason to carry a bit more than trip length is. The large majority of us probably tour in first world countries regardless of our packing style.

Some of those who ride fully loaded, their bike is their home, and having no home to come back to, ultralight isn't as feasible.
Isn't that called being homeless, not bike touring?

Last edited by staehpj1; 10-03-15 at 08:31 AM.