View Single Post
Old 10-03-15, 06:03 PM
poprad

Bikes: 07 Vanilla, 98 IRD road frame built up with 25th Ann DA, Surly cross check with 105 comp, 78 Raleigh Comp GS, 85 Centurionelli

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 191 Posts
So Saturday brought more rain and the onset of a nasty cold. What better therapy than to head downstairs and put some parts on the Orange Flyer? Started out by attaching the just-polished 600 cranks:

[IMG]Faux-ji Special Road Racer by Mark, on Flickr[/IMG]

Then couldn't help myself but to put on the derailleurs and brakes:

But I realized that the Sachs-Huret Aris shifters I had put on were the 6 speed model. I had bought them on the 'Bay a few years back because they had the nicer inner mount that curves to the tubes instead of the straight backing plate on the 7 speed version I had. I pulled it apart and realized that the innards between the two are quite different. The 6 speed model uses a detent plate and follower plate to make the indexing. When I took the 7 speed apart (it actually changes from 6 to 7 speed if you want easily) I missed the teeny-tiny bbs that make the detent. Some of the hardware matches but the detent plate and follower are very different. There's two tiny bbs that have to ride in slots on the follower plate, and are held in place by the adjusted tension. It took me about an hour to suss this out, as when I took it aprt the pieces (of course) sprung apart almost instantaneously. Thankfully my work area caught the tiny bbs, and I saw one of them after almost throwing in the towel and ordering a Shimano 600 shifter after failing to find any explaoded diagrams of the Aris on the interwebs.

I should have taken pics of the guts of both side by side, but I didn't think to grab the camera until after I had figured out the install. It's such a fussy thing to get together that I had no intention of going through the chance of losing those tiny balls again, so here's the 6 speed much-simpler version apart:

If anyone ever has an issue with a 6 or 7 speed Aris rebuild I am now your man. I'll happily share my experience. Every build needs at least one glitch like this to make it worthwhile!

Another shot of the shifters with the backing plates that mate to the tube, well worth the effort to change them over:

This is a shot with the flat backing plates; hard to see in this pic but they don't have that clean merge with the downtube:

[IMG]P1010698 by Mark, on Flickr[/IMG]

Got the rear wheel in place

And made a custom chain protector from some nice auto finish vinyl I had lying around:

I know some might think the tires an odd choice, but this is my autumn bike and has to be ready for wet leaves and such. Also I had them from the old wheels of my Comp GS, so it's always nice to use what you have on hand.

Tomorrow; chain and front wheel...and test ride around the block.

Last edited by poprad; 10-03-15 at 06:08 PM.