Old 10-03-15, 07:30 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...+1 The later manufactures have been fine IME. If these are hard anodized, I suspect they are of a later origin.
Araya's lightweight CTL370 model was from the late 80's, featured hard-anodize process, but still had the semi-circular bead hooks.

I had both wired-on and folding tires blow off of my front CTL370 after brake-heating descents in the bay area. One was just as I rounded the last right-hander descending Page Mill Rd, another was a mid-city descent in Pasadena. Both times I was warned of impending blast when the front tire thumped against the fork legs several times before it blew. Bth were somewhat-aged tires with nary any grip afforded by the aging rubber covering the bead, which I thought might have made these blow-offs somewhat more likely, but this was not something that would ever happen most hook-beaded rims.

I once bought an un-ridden Univega tourer with wide Araya clinchers, and the rim seam on both rims had been severely over-machined at the weld, making the braking smoothness nonexistent. I've also had more than one pair of Weinmann Concave rims with this identical severe problem.

I have been quite happy with most of the Araya rims I've had, but a good number were also substandard in some way imo.