View Single Post
Old 10-04-15, 12:06 AM
Jofu

Bikes: 2015 Spec Roubaix Expert, 2016 Spec Diverge Expert X1, 2018 Allez Sprint eTap

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by shyonelung
Well, I finished. Though I walked up the two steepest parts. But, I easily climbed the first big hill. In fact I got up with so much ease, I may have gotten overconfident. :-( The weather was perfect. Cool in the morning and even when the sun came out, it wasn't overly hot. Coleman Valley was just brutal and I cramped up while climbing which is why I got off to walk it a bit. I wasn't able to ride every hill but I rode most of them. and I fought through the cramping to finish. My goal was to get it done in under 6 hours. I finished in 6:33, but ride time was under 6 so that feels good. It was 4,000 feet of climbing, the most I've ever done by far in one ride.

I rode along highway 1 by the coast which I've never done but always wondered if I could so that's cool. And Bohemian Highway down to Route 1 was a blast of a descent, the most fun I've ever had on a bike. I think I'm going to take a couple of weeks off now. Thanks for all your input, advice and support. I thought about a lot of it the whole ride.
Congrats! So you did the Medio? I did the Gran today, and boy did it kick my arse I think I was over-confident in my climbing ability... I'm by no means the fastest guy out there (flat or climbing!), but I've been doing Mt Hamilton and Mt Diablo many times now with reasonable ease, and exactly 2 weeks ago I tackled the 10,000ft Haleakala in Maui (which was awesome by the way!). I felt they were all easier than the 100-miler Gran. Actually, according to Strava's calorie-burning estimate, it indeed was, by far! I completed it in 7h43m, with 6h45m of riding.

Geoff