Old 10-04-15, 06:00 PM
ParkingTheBus

Bikes: Multiple GIANT bicycles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85
How is it him? What did he do wrong? It's not anyone's problem imo but the bike planners. When I go onto bike lanes, a lot of times the lane will end and will be confusing.
Huge problem in my area. The mayor and his band of clowns proudly proclaim that we have hundreds of kilometers of bike paths.. Truth is, we only have around 10 km total worth of actual bike lanes. The trails, MUP's and bike lanes often lead to nowhere and end in random places. It's utterly pathetic.

Originally Posted by DreamRider85
Parking the Bus, I can relate to you. Where I live in the bay area, do you recommend I do some group riding? I really want to go on some highways to experience some scenery. But I have heard some bad stories. As a matter of fact, while I was riding on a closed road today, I overheard a guy telling his spouse about how a lot of cyclists get into accidents with cars. The wife agreed and said a lot aren't even reported. Would a group ride be better for me?
You're lucky to live in an area where people actually cycle and bikes are at least somewhat recognized as a part of traffic.

My opinion is this: If you REALLY LOVE it, go out and road bike, do your touring or whatever... Statistics show that you aren't likely to get hit and or killed (if you ride safely that is). Learn how to cycle properly and how to read traffic i.e taking the lane, which roads to avoid etc. Based on your geographical area, you should have less problems than me. You'll still have to deal with close passes and what not. I don't have the patience or resolve to deal with that crap anymore (which is worse in my area), hence why I'm just going to give up road cycling unless it's with friends or commuting.

It really isn't for everybody. If you love it, you won't have a problem dealing with what I mentioned above^. I'm only 22 years old. I work, go to school and have other personal issues to deal with. To be honest, I don't need crap like this adding onto the stress that I already have. I did quite a bit of road riding this year due to injuries with my knee and wanting to improve my cardio... Although I didn't exactly enjoy it, it did help a tonne with my cardio. I'm planning to register for a soccer league next year. That along with Mountain biking should keep me active and fit enough and I'll actually enjoy it...

As for the groups... I've always found it much safer to ride with at least 2 other people. Good luck man. Don't let me negativity and unfortunate experiences deter you from doing what you love.

Originally Posted by one4smoke
There are definitely "idiotic and aggressive drivers." No doubt. But quite honestly, you give the perception of one with a chip on his shoulder. I'd venture to say, that may have something to do with the issues you're having too.

JMO...
You don't say?!. When I'm getting sh*tted on day in, day out by drivers while riding on roads, bike lanes and marked MUP's, it can make somebody frustrated and bitter.

A lot of what I said in the OP was done out of frustration.. I posted this thread as soon as I got home from that ride. My main point as highlighted in the thread title still stands.