View Single Post
Old 10-05-15, 04:05 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by habilis
I began riding FG last spring and soon found that I needed a new technique for getting up even moderate hills. I've done more out-of-the-saddle pedaling this year than in my entire previous life! Initially, the standing was hard to sustain for very long, but practice (compulsory on a fixie) has greatly increased my endurance.

I set out to ride up a hill once and sustained 300 consecutive pedal strokes to the top. Yep. I counted them all the way.

shyonelung, EXCELLENT!!

When I read you last post, I thought some dehydration was the cause, and you followed up with the comment about drinking a lot.

As to the mouth, yes, long-distance riders can get mouth ulcers or other discomfort that may arise from large quantities of carbs being taken in.

There is also a theory that I subscribe to that intensive exercise (and probably a bit of dehydration) tends to leach out Vitamin Bs from the body and this manifests itself with mouth soreness or ulcers.

Because I work physically outdoors as well as doing moderately long rides, and I take B-complex supplements daily, I can tell my body is getting through Vitamin B by the colour of my urine.