genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
In what way does 25 mph become utopia?

London, Paris, NYC, Vancouver etc etc etc *ALL* have low speed limits - *AND* bike lanes.

25 mph speed limit is not enough. Traffic *VOLUME* makes a difference too. Look here.

If there is paint on a road, if there are Bots dots on a road, then *somebody* has already made the decision that this road needs traffic control devices.

Diamond lanes are just one more traffic control device.

-mr. bill
It is the speed of residential streets... it is the speed of the street that many of us trained upon as kids, and it is a speed that a skilled cyclist can easily get to and thus maintain perfect pace with MV traffic. Actually considering that the average speed should be lower than the posted speed... it is quite easy for a cyclist to maintain pace with other traffic, if said other traffic is actually not exceeding the posted speed limit... and having cyclists mix with other traffic, will discourage speeding. (yeah yeah, I know... the car drivers become upset, don't know what to do, start driving like idiots... bla bla bla... ) Mixing MV and bike traffic provides a training environment for all road users.

BTW I did look Here... and saw a beautiful place for cyclists to fit right in with the other traffic... no special stripes needed.

Like I said... put BL there and you may as well stripe right to my front door.