View Single Post
Old 10-06-15, 03:18 PM
michael k

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JMONAY
Haha never heard anyone refer to a Raleigh Sports as a "lil' cute" before but this one sure is the way its set up! Haha that sure brought a smile to my face. Usually the only things I hear about these bikes are "tough and dependable" or "too clunky, heavy, and antiquated." If you aren't already familiar by now, the Raleigh Sports was the little sister to the Tourist, which was the standard 3-speed rod brake utility bike with 28" wheels. the Sports was a lighter, faster version with cable operated brakes and 26" (590) wheels. Raleigh made both models from the '30s until the early '80s.
@michael k I like your setup. The peugeot is beautiful, especially with bluemels fenders. As for the Sports, do I spy cream Delta Cruiser tires and alloy rims? that's gotta be a nice ride (assuming it has been finished). Also, I couldn't help but notice - what year is yours? It looks like it has a post-'65 rear fender with two pairs of braces. Downtube decals look like pre-61 and '65-69. Btw I think mattress saddles like the one you have are underrated - I had one just like it on my '58 Sports for the longest time. I have started running a Brooks B72 on it recently but will switch back to the vinyl mattress saddle for the winter. Not a performance piece but certainly comfortable, a good match for the bike
It was a total rebuild.The hub date is Aug '52. Here she is when we first got her home.