Old 10-07-15, 07:03 AM
digger

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1295 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 132 Posts
I was successful in having a driver charged with passing too close using video. I use a ContourHD camera - forward facing. Police issued him a ticket for $300, he contested it. We went to court.

There were a number of excuses of course:

1) I swerved - video doesn't show that bud.

2) vehicle couldn't stop in time (Ford F150 towing camper trailer) - he had 150m to, at least, slow down from 80kph (speed limit) to 30kph (my speed). Your vehicle can't do that? Shouldn't be on the road then.

3) video was tampered with - the camera shoots 30 fps, the video was 1' 15" long which means I had to edit over 2,000 images between the time I called police and when they showed up at my house 3 hours later.

I won the court case.

I didn't have a Fly6 at the time, but I have since purchased a Fly6. The Fly6 wouldn't have helped too much as, here in my province, our motor vehicles do not have front plates. I think though that a rear facing camera would provide some context/support for the forward facing video.

I find the Fly6 to be a great camera. I have yet to wear down the battery on a ride and my longest ride to date was 5 hours and it was running 95% of the time (shut down for stops). It's a tough camera! I have a large seat bag on my touring bike so it can't be mounted there. I used a piece of 1" diameter aluminum pipe mounted to my rear rack and affixed the Fly6 to that. I guess the rack moves a bit because, when I hit a rough section of pavement (at speed), the thing flew off and bounced over the road into the ditch. Not a scratch and works fine.
I have never had the Fly6 fly (no pun) off the seat post on my road bike or commuter bike, so it is quite safe in the mount they provide. I used the thing in rain at least 4 times over the summer, not a problem.

I find the audio muffled though. I sent Cycliq an example, but they seem to feel it is ok. I can hear it if the computer volume is maxed and the speaker volume is at 75%.

The light could be brighter for day use, but is excellent at night.

I recommend it.

Last edited by digger; 10-07-15 at 07:11 AM.