View Single Post
Old 10-07-15, 11:07 AM
waynesulak

Bikes: Custom 650B tandem by Bob Brown, 650B tandem converted from Santana Arriva, Santana Noventa, Boulder Bicycle 700C, Gunnar Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Baldy1953
Thanks for all the advice. As far as trusting , my wife is totally content to just pedal. Maybe we need to work on the "fit" a little more to keep her from shifting. I have already thought of dropping the seat just a smidgen to see if that stops the flex(wiggle).. I may have set it just a tad high and her hips are rocking. She did enjoy the first ride as all she had to do was pedal. We have to work on the communication a bit as anytime I changed the cadence or shifted, it startled her. Going to work on that.

Going to give it a fair shot at becoming comfortable for me. I ride a road bike and it sure is different!!

Another coule of questions. The tires are fully inflated at 45 psi. I know on my pickup there was sway from the tires. Do tandems have this happen also? That might be a contributing factor to the "wiggle".
On the cranks are the bearing a cassette style or loose like in the wheels? I lubricated the wheel bearings and there was almost no grease, so I am guessing the cranks are the same shape. Watched a video on how to lubricate. His had the cassette style bearings.

Guess I am going to have to learn to be a bike mechanic whether I want to or not. lol

It looks like I am going to have to replace the front deralliur (spelling) It is definitely bent and spent quite a bit of time adjusting on it today. Can get it to work on the 2 largest cogs up front, but will not go onto the bottom one consistently.
Even expensive tandems take a fair amount of maintenance so it will save you much time and much money to learn to work on it. The nice thing about working on bikes is that the parts are out in the open where you can reach them easily and no power tools are required. Since there is usually no one at home to call for help it adds a comfort level to riding when you are confident you can diagnose and fix most problems on the road.

The Park tool web site will give instructions for working on many parts on the bike.

Repair Help Articles - Park Tool