View Single Post
Old 03-04-03, 11:23 AM
Dahon.Steve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I never had a bike growing up since my older brother was always favored. I did use his bicycles whenever I got the chance. My father got him a 20 inch three speed and a Ross cruiser. My brother would later purchase a 10 speed Record Ace that was too big and he rarely used so I would ride it to work. In those days, I never wore a helmet and rode at night without lights. It's amazing I didn't get killed. One day I was doored and flew over the handlebars and was taken to the hospital by an ambulance. I was lucky the injuries were not severe. I was so shaken that I would not get back on a bicycle for another 10 years.

Two years ago, I discovered this forum and a site on bike commuting by Paul Dorn. He became my idol. I got the strangest idea at age 33 to purchase my first bicycle. Yes.. It's true. My first bicycle at 33!! I wanted to begin commuting by bicycle but I wanted a folder since my apartment was too small to fit a regular bike. I purchased a Dahon Piccolo 3 speed and still commute with that bike today. It's become my junk folding bike but people think it's new and cool. The reaction I get from riding a 16' wheel folding bicycle is amazing.

I've since moved to a larger apartment and now have another Dahon, Brompton, Bianchi and Van Dessel. In the summer, I'm going to get a Cannondale R1000 for my weekend ride but first I'm going to sell a couple of the other bikes.

The bicycle has changed my life..