View Single Post
Old 10-07-15, 12:05 PM
Baldy1953

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
Leisesturm. I rec. your private message. However, the forum will not allow me to respond as I have not made the required posts to do so. I apologize to the rest of the users for my newby questions concerning the Kent. I am asking for the knowledge to fix the bike and make it more roadworthy and better without spending a fortune.

Thanks for responding. I could not find the message i sent to you either. It shows in my graph that I have sent one private message, but I am unable to get to it.

My questions concerned the bracket bearings you said you bought. How do you measure the size that is needed? I am guessing the bottom braket is the crank assembly. There are 2 of them.(front and rear) Also on the rear axle, I was able to remove the side opposite of the cluster ( think that is what it is called). There was virtually no grease in that side. Loose ball bearings and I greased them and put back together. Do I need the special socket to remove the cluster and disassemble the other side to grease or will I be able to slide the axle out without disturbing the bearings?

I appreciate your help and information. The tandem and doing bicycle maintenance if a new adventure for me. I have never really worked on a bike before. My Jamis road bike (bought new) has not required any maint. other than cleaning chain. I had the chain replaced by lbs as the original did not have a master link.

waynesulak,
I agree it will save me quite a bit of money to learn how to work on the bike. Being newly retired, I am unsure of my financial situation until I get a few Social Security checks in the bank. So, I have plenty of time to learn how to work on bikes. Have a single road bike to maintain also. It being new requires less diligence than the Kent.

If the bike breaks down, i just walk home with the bike. Has happened already. Only had to walk about 5 miles. Flat tire and my tube I put in went flat also. Got tired of pumping up to ride for about 10 min before going flat again. Had a tiny piece of metal. Bought 2 new tubes and tires. Had worn the original tires out. Live and learn. Thanks for all the help