Old 10-07-15, 02:51 PM
Tom SD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need a fix?

Originally Posted by Bob Steel

I'd pass on the Boyds. This comes from personal experience. Less than 1,700 miles and already premature delamination. No help from the company on this.

Do you ride gravel on occasion? I had those same delam issues with Reynolds Assaults. It was my fault due to the terrain I choose. The bike paths in San Diego will do a number on carbon. Sand, dirt, sea salt, moisture are not carbon friendly.

Fortunately, there is a guy in San Diego near the convention center that specializes in carbon brake track repair. His main business is fiberglass repairs on boats and surfboards. He works on bike wheels as more of a hobby. It’s brake track restoration only. Hub or spoke issues? Forget it. Cost is $75 per wheel. You pay one way shipping.

I thought my wheels were toast after that Belgian Waffle ride in North San Diego County earlier this year. Ron took care of this in less than two weeks. It’s been about 1000 miles and no chipping, cracking or peeling. All wheel manufacturers and resellers will say this is impossible. It can’t be done, it’s not safe. Bullcrap. They just want you to buy a new set of their wheels.

Let me know if you’re interested and I’ll post contact information.