View Single Post
Old 10-08-15, 08:55 PM
illusiumd

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
Going to a windproof breathable jacket was a huge, huge improvement in winter riding for me, windproof breathable is definitely worth it in my opinion.

There's 2 questions though:
1. Whether you could get something similar in function (windproof breathable) but cheaper
2. Whether you could something non-waterproof, but more breathable

On #1 I don't know - I know most comparable stuff is similarly priced.

On #2 I'm researching right now, but frankly, I don't know that I'll be able to figure it out without buying something and trying it myself. The eVent fabric used for the Shower's Pass jacket is good, but I've always felt like it would be nice if it was more breathable (but it is technologically possible to make something that's more breathable and also windproof?). I've looked into Windstopper - windproof but not waterproof - and just haven't been able to figure out if it's more breathable than eVent fabric or not.

So is it worth the price for something that's breathable and windproof for winter riding? In my opinions it's definitely "yes". Is there something better or cheaper out there? I'm not sure.
Good thoughts. I just got the SP Elite 2.1 and am trying it out - but it's just not cool/cold enough in Chicago yet. It's definately a good jacket - but I'd like to also use it as a non-cycling snow/winter shell on top of a fleece or something. I'm so picky. I like it - but don't know if it's 250 worth of like.

Might go to REI and try out Novarra Express (Novarra=60/SP=250?). Was also looking at Foxwear and JG - but their colors pretty much only come in yellow and I'd feel bad ordering just to return later if I didn't care for them.

Last edited by illusiumd; 10-08-15 at 09:01 PM.