Old 10-11-15, 10:14 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Originally Posted by Calder Benson
My 9 year old boy turns 10 next month. I'm going to get him a bike for birthday or Christmas. He's currently riding a 20 in wheel Mongoose that he has all but outgrown. He's 4 foot 8 inches tall.

I'm deciding on whether to get a 24 inch bike that I would then hope he wouldn't outgrow by this time next year, or
get a 26 inch bike that he would be less likely to outgrow by next year. Two years is probably the max I could expect for even the 26 inch bike.

Also, not many manufacturer's make a 26 inch wheel anymore. Seems like 24 is the largest 'kids' bike. Any other options past the 24 in?

Here are the bike's that I am looking at:

Specialized Bicycle Components

x26

I'll need to have him try out some bikes in both sizes, but with his height, generally, do you think he will fit comfortably/safely on the 26, or is it too big for a 4 ft 8 kid?

Thanks,
As someone who sells bikes, I would say go to your local shop specifically one that does sell kids bikes and have him try some bikes out. I know Fuji makes a 650c bike (the Ace) which is going to be a little bigger than a 24" but it may or may not fit him. He might also have some luck on smaller women's frames which I have done plenty of times to great success. Though again the most important thing is heading to a shop and getting him fitted.