Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by gatto karma

Shouldn't the left part of the dereilleur (where it opens into a 'C' - sorry but I don't know how to call it in English) be aligned with the frame's rear dropouts, meaning it should also 'contain' the wheel's axle?

I have tuned the derailleur and it works fine, except the screw that limits the low gear is broken so if the cable is pulled too much it falls between the freewheel and the spokes.

Summing up:

1. Is it OK if RD sits like that?
2. Does anyone know how to get around the low gear limit screw being broken? I do not seem to be able to take it out withough breaking some of the plastics

Thanks!
That's called a "Claw", and yes, as dabac says, it should be under the axle nut, with the small screw, and a semi-circle nut should be in the slot to hold the derailleur in place when the wheel is off. You can probably get a spare nut from a bike shop.

Maybe you can carefully bend the low limit screw back to straight, so it screws in ?? Surprised you can't remove it without causing damage.

You could replace the derailleur, but need to make sure it's a compatible model for the indexing to work properly

FYI: http://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 10-12-15 at 06:00 AM.