View Single Post
Old 10-12-15, 08:09 AM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I'm saying that it's not in the interest of the individual who would be splitting his time. I've tried this, one or two days weekends retail and weekdays a professional job. It's a real job, there are stresses and pressures, it's not like taking time off to decompress. Most people work retail jobs because they need the paycheck.

There are a number of alternatives in transporting people to work, some more disruptive than others. Systemic changes in employment to reduce commutes is probably unwise and unworkable. You're putting the cart before the horse.
I think a lot depends on how the work is managed. Let's say you had the responsibility of going to a local store one or two days a week and stocking the shelves with boxes of items from the back. Let's say you have some scheduling flexibility when you show up and you've been trained and authorized to do this work so there aren't any pressures on you. You get paid a fixed amount so no need to punch a time card. It's just like having chores at home, except you do the chores at a business.

Originally Posted by Machka
+1

I too have been in the same situation where I have worked a professional job as well as other, I suppose you might call them "blue collar" types of jobs. And yes, each has its own stresses and pressures. It's actually rather tiring going back and forth between the two. There were a few months where I was working 4 different jobs at the same time. That was chaos!
Content. Reasoning. How do you manage it with others but not me?

Maid? What if I don't want a maid? What if I do but I can't afford maid service?