View Single Post
Old 10-12-15, 09:23 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by RoderWrench
I fear you didn't learn your lesson. Instead of focusing on how your ears saved you, you should focus on how your lack of a head turn almost got you killed. Relying on your hearing is a terrible way to navigate the streets. Yes, that minivan shouldn't have been there. The fact is, there was a possibility a vehicle could have been there. Therefore a head turn was required to safely make a turn. You were really lucky to hear that faint rustling. Had you been in an area with more ambient noise, I probably wouldn't be replying to your post.

A rider listening to music, with his head on a swivel is much safer than someone riding with tunnel vision.
That's my opinion as well. I feel safer wearing headphones than not, because my brain sometimes it can rely on my hearing to hear cars behind me, when the only thing that's actually affective is to actually look. Wearing headphones makes my brain realize that I'd better look - which is far far safer than hoping a car passing me is making enough noise to hear it.

You can't rely on your ears for knowing what's behind you, you have to look.