View Single Post
Old 10-12-15, 01:05 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by 12strings
SCOTT: Interesting...I also use my 38T middle ring most of the time...I really never use the Big ring unless I'm going down a hill, while also trying to keep up with the group. But I suppose if bigger cogs were in line with the 52 tooth ring, I could use it more, perhaps with less vibration. Sounds like an option...In a few years when I need a new cassette.
Learning to put up with your current parts is always the cheapest option... once you're comfortable swapping parts, it's hard to stop buying extra parts and tinkering.

I'm just curious that I don't remember having this problem on my $200 Walmart Schwinn flat-bar road bike, which had a Triple Chainring paired with 7 speed Tourney stuff...I was riding the same group rides, which include one long downhill section where everybody tops out their gears.
Aha... that Schwinn's freewheel would have started with a 13T or 14T.

And if you're using regular WD-40, the thin residue left inside your chain isn't doing you any favors wrt chordal action.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498