Old 10-12-15, 05:03 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bonner1040
I play bike polo on a single speed bike. I want to ride to the polo courts in one gearing and then switch to another gearing to play, however I also want a range of available gears.

My wheel currently has a 17 tooth freewheel on it and I am adding a 22 tooth to the other side. I have purchased two chainrings and a bash guard. I am going to install Raceface atlas cranks and use the availiable 5mm of chainline adjustment to place the center of the two chain rings dead on with my freewheels, which will be pushed out from center an equal amount with spacers.

The chainrings are narrow wides so I am hoping that fact, the bashguard and the close spacing will allow me to hold the chain.

IF I pull all this off I will hopefully be able to run 4 different single speed setups depending on conditions all with the same length chain. I am guessing that with the extra long horizontal dropouts that I can run all 4 ratios with the same 42 link chain.

Am I crazy?

Gearing Ratio Chain Length
22/30 1.4 42
17/30 1.8 41
22/34 1.6 43
17/34 2 42
i've done pretty much the same thing on one of my SS's now for about five years. it works well for me.

difference is that i put two cogs on a freehub rear hub and two chainrings. there was no compromise WRT chainline on two of the four combinations. when i cross chained, and i rarely had reason to do it, there was a bit of noise.

BTW, no bashguard, and common kmc chain and 3/32 cogs and chainrings. bike is an old 1988 stumpjumper with horizontal dropouts.

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 10-12-15 at 05:08 PM.