View Single Post
Old 10-12-15, 05:05 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Mixed use zoning has also been used several places I've lived as well.
It is a good idea independently of mixed-job scheduling.

And as for having skilled professionals split their time between their profession and service jobs ... it is, fortunately, fanciful nonsense because that would be a complete and utter nightmare. A thing of bad futuristic sci-fi shows.
Don't be ridiculous. If I am a teacher or doctor or lawyer and I want to do other work, I should be able to without my professional or personal reputation being slaughtered for not conforming to standards that push people to maximize their effort and earning on utilizing their skill of highest value. There are more trained professionals in existence than demand for professional services so it only does good for professionals to work less at their professions and engage in other activities, paid or unpaid. I only suggest the idea that they take over local jobs near their homes to reduce the need for workers to commute across town adding to motor-congestion.

If people want to take on two or more different jobs, and can arrange their schedules to do so, as I have done in the past, that's fine. In fact, I would even suggest taking on a part-time retail job at this time of year going into Christmas in order to save some money for a nice holiday or whatever you like. Lots of people do just that.

But living in a world where we're forced to work here for 3 days a week and there for 2 days a week by some law or something ... nightmarish futuristic sci-fi show material. What a dark and depressing world that would be.
Why do you always assume I'm interested in forcing people to do things by law? What you always seem to deny is that current popular 'choices' aren't completely free. As in the example I gave you about a teacher going to her/his principal and informing them that they plan to reduce their teaching to two days a week, they would get fired. People are offered jobs with full time schedules 'take it or leave it.' They are not free to choose how much or how little to work or when because managers plan jobs as packages that they won't modify in order to work with employees' wishes to exercise their freedom.

What a dark and depressing world it is where business culture has been evolving for centuries yet people are still not free to design their own work schedules, performing whatever forms of work they please, without having to fit into culturally normative job descriptions and occupational structures.

Here's the thing, though, Machka. If you call an idea for innovation dark and depressing, you make yourself out to be a happy well-adjusted person, but if I argue the other position and call some idea that has materialized into the present as dark and depressing, you accuse me of being unhappy and maladjusted. You are simply biased in favor of the status quo against prospective innovations.

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Let's reason together. You don't need maid service. Just ask a lawyer, doctor, car mechanic, aerospace engineer, or some other skilled professional to provide "free maid services" and clean your toilets , wash your dishes and cut you grass for you, all for free of charge. According to your reasoning and your logic all those skilled professionals are filthy rich, evil and have too much money and they enjoy too many nice things in life, so why not force them to do dirty jobs to humble them and make them more spiritual ??.. Does that sound reasonable to you ??
I do my own labor, for the most part and I have no interest in having others do it for me, paid or unpaid. My point to Machka was that her suggestion to hire a maid if I don't want to clean is a cop out. If I don't want to hire a maid or can't, I still have to clean my house, take out the trash, etc. People aren't free to live in filth because it will destroy them to live that way after a while. Machka was acting like no one has to do any labor they don't want to, but that's just not true. We have to do everything that needs to be done, or we have to do it for someone else for pay to afford the expenses we have. There's no freedom to pay others to do everything for you and never work to pay the bills, unless you have an unlimited supply of money somehow and no qualms with spending it without restraint.

Originally Posted by wolfchild
A place where a car-free man is only allowed to marry a car-free women so they can reproduce and pass their car-free genes and produce and entire race of car-free people.
TPs utopia.
I wish you had obnoxiousness-free genes.

You're implying that I'm a car-free racist, but that's not true. I get along with people who drive just as well or better than others who live car free. I just know life would be better for everyone if more people would drive less, that's all.