Old 10-12-15, 05:05 PM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 161 Posts
Today I had planned a really nice 100+ mile route with 6500+ ft of climbing in the Palouse and Snake River are of SE Washington state where I grew up. The ride included a descent to the river and two climbs up off the river. The route included a crossing over the Lower Granite Dam. Unfortunately, a security guard with an attitude would not let me pass and ride across the dam. While the guard on the other side of the dam told my father that they don't like to do it but they sometimes did and even drove cyclists across the dam. The guard I encountered just looked like he wanted a confrontation so I just nodded and rode back to town for a 42 mile trip (roughly 3500 ft of climbing) instead of the century I had wanted.

This area of the state is beautiful with rolling hills and, this time of year and a mixture of wheat stubble and plowed soil ready for winter wheat planting.

I started in Colfax where I went to high school. A cool little town located in a valley.

Quickly you are into the wheat fields and heading south on Almota Rd.

After a few miles you drop down into the long, large flat that is bisected by Union Flat Creek

Unfortunately, I picked up some sun glare when snapping a photo of this line of vintage farm trucks:

At the high point you can see for an incredible number of miles

Last edited by scozim; 10-12-15 at 11:01 PM.