View Single Post
Old 10-13-15, 07:04 AM
kensuf
My idea of fun

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Wesley36
There's some good advice about low T being just a symptom of training too hard and stress in life.

I wound up going down that particular rabbit hole back in 2013. My doc proscribed axiron after a battery of tests determined I had low T, which were most likely caused by a combination of physical stress (riding 15 hours a week, working two jobs, and a case of the flu) plus psychological stress (my main job is pretty much high stress customer service, running an IT help desk). He called for the tests when I became so lethargic I couldn't get out of bed for a week.

Before agreeing to start taking the axiron, I jumped through all the hoops to get a TUE. Guess what, you can't get a TUE for T supplements, and I decided to just quit racing while I was on the stuff -- I want to be clear about this, I never competed during the short few months I was on it even though I held a license.

Now, here's an interesting tidbit I discovered while on the stuff. Excess testosterone can convert into estrogen in your body. That's why some juicers get boobs. Other side effects include excessive weight gain, and even more mood issues (PMS??). It will even create an interesting feedback loop in your body which exacerbates the situation.

I wound up spending nine months working with an endocrinologist to get everything straightened out.

Yeah, so screw big pharma and the low T myth.