Old 10-13-15, 09:33 PM
dunderhi

Bikes: Little Wing, XTRACK, Electron Pro, SuperCorsa, Paramount, & Thunderdrome

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
If you're in the US you should be able to race any type of race you want as a Cat 5. It's true that you won't be eligible to race in the national championships in sprint races until you upgrade. It's down to what races the local promoter puts on, but I'd think at least some sprint events happen for lower category races at Trexlertown. Somebody who's local there and chime in and help.

As far as the distance form the track, that's tough. Training on the road may be your only option.
Sprints and timed events are a rare sight at Ttown. There's only a couple of opportunities to do a sprint or a pursuit each year. The sprinter vs. enduro terminology isn't used much there because almost everyone is an enduro, so we just call ourselves track racers. At Ttown there are plenty of mass start opportunities for riders of all ages and capabilities. If you are new to track racing (Cat4/5) or a over 35 (Cat1/2/3/4), then Masters & Rookies is the place to be on Saturdays from May through August. Tuesday nights are for Cats Pro/1/2/3 and Fridays are for the Pro/1. The Pro/1 riders are usually strong US and international contingent.

I know several people that drive up to Ttown from Delaware every Saturday for Mastersa & Rookies. I drive up from Maryland every weekend and I also drive up to NYC for their early spring series on Sundays. Ttown also has Try-the-Track sessions for first timers a few times a year. I volunteer to help the more apprehensive riders during those sessions.

Also, narrow or steel bars aren't all that necessary or all that popular at Ttown. Pretty much 40cm alloy is the standard and there are a smattering of 37/38's and 42's. I've ridden 42's comfortably at Ttown, but I'm currently riding 40s. So, I would recommend to go with whatever makes you comfortable.