fthomas
Fred E Fenders

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tandempower
First, you could have consolidated these into a single post.

Second, thank you for your honesty and neutrality of tone in expressing your opinion.

Third, the only way I can make sense of your stance ................. Why is it so horrible to imagine combining different jobs at different locations on different days of the week? What is so terrible about having a diverse work schedule? (I could have said "varied" instead of 'diverse' but you've praised diversity in other threads so maybe you can reflect on the goodness of having diversity in your work routines as well).

Have you dealt with congested motor traffic? Do you not think it is worth making some superficially radical changes to people's routines for the sake of freeing up lanes for smoother traffic flows for those who drive while making it easier for others to choose car-free transportation to go along with a work routine that makes it more doable?

Rarely would I even venture a comment on such a complex subject and complex it is. As was mentioned earlier China's experiments into utopia in the past were miserable failures.

Imagine if you can it taking two and one half hours to go 6 miles (10km) in the teaming standstill of traffic in Manila. I returned to the States after experiencing Manila for the past three years and watched as the traffic problem progressed to the point it is now.

Imagine trying to walk down a side street in China and be hit by a bicyclist coming the other direction because there was just no room to maneuver or any way to make room.

Imagine major city streets in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) filled with bicycles, 110 cc motorscooters and a few cars. Crossing the street as a pedestrian is akin to dancing thre rhumba. A few steps forward and one step back three steps forward and two steps back.

Right now I am car free in Southern California and the bus system is exceedingly slow and unreliable.

I hope that people will continue to excel at what they are best at. I too do not want my Dr. focusing on anything but being the best Dr. available.

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)