Old 10-17-15, 12:41 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I ran Schwalbe Ones for about 2000 miles, and never experienced a goathead-related flat. I did however get flats from glass about half a dozen times (and I define flat as having to stop and put air in the tire-- I got the "Stan's Sprinkler" on many more occasions.) The ride is so good because the rubber is so soft. The durability of the Ones compared to a "flat resistant" tire is essentially incomparable. I have had zero punctures of any kind on my Hardshells, in over 1500 miles.

So if your flat risk is purely goathead or other small sticker related, tubeless can work for you. If broken glass or other road debris is common, tubeless will serve you no better than any other tire. I'd love to be back on tubeless (for that ride quality,) but there are no good "endurance" tubeless tires, and the current offerings are waaayyyy too expensive. I got both of my Hardshells for the price of a single Schwalbe One. Frankly, going to tubeless to save money on flat tires is like getting a motorcycle to save on gas. It just doesn't work.