Old 10-18-15, 12:40 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1806 Post(s)
Liked 1,331 Times in 773 Posts
Originally Posted by WonderMonkey

2 - Generally it started when I was bumped from behind when I stopped at a stop sign. Apparently this is not normal. The one who ran into me fell and got pissed. He got made because I stopped at a stop sign and he ran into me. He made the assumption that I was going to blow right through it. Why? Because that is what they do on group rides. They expect cars to stop of course but it's ok because they need to keep going. I told him to expect it again because I'm stopping at STOP SIGNS and obey the rules of the road if for no other reason than I expect cars to and I need to return the consideration.

3 - After the guy calmed down a bit and he asked "Do you ride on the road much?" "No, just the occasional organized event and if I have to a small connector." So he explains what "normal" is and it is what I've seen here and there from group rides while I have been in a car and noticed "Gee, no wonder people have attitudes...." When on a group ride it is even not uncommon for a large group to have one pull into an intersection to stop vehicles while the large group blows through. Then of course the vehicle(s), who now are pissed, have to drive behind them until they can pass. Perfect!

I do not know what the total circumstance on the stop was but if you stopped at every stop sign whether there were other cars at the intersection or not I'd just leave you. There is nothing unsafe about riding through an intersection if no other vehicles are there. Again, I don't know what your actual circumstances were.

As for large groups going through intersections, on group rides here if we are turning left at an intersection the last rider will typically take the lane to allow the rest of the group to make the turn without a car splitting the group and creating an unsafe situation. Don't know if that is what you were referring to. In CT bicycles are vehicles and are entitled to a lane.