View Single Post
Old 10-18-15, 07:39 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by rhenning
My suggestion is you find a pair of old wheels first. Take them completely apart and and then see if you can get them back into usable wheelss. Wheel building is not rocket science but it is not something everyone can do. See if you can find wheels someone is replacing. I would hate to see you put out a large amount of money and just end up with a pile of parts. I am sure you can do it but it may be something you will never want to do again. Roger
I don't find relacing an old pair particularly helpful, and absolutely would not recommend trying to rebuild without written or in-person guidance. Lacing a wheel is indeed something pretty much anyone can do (youngest I've taught was 12 years old) and truing up a new wheel is MUCH easier than working with a used one, but it's also very easy to make a mistake by trying to wing it. The most critical part of wheel building is exactly what the OP asked about - selection of the component.

Last edited by cny-bikeman; 10-18-15 at 07:47 PM.