Old 10-18-15, 08:18 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura
This concept really makes little sense. Front panniers & racks are smaller so obviously the manufacturers don't assume that's what you'll do.

I load my panniers based on the function of their contents and their inherent volume. I pay little attention to what they weigh individually. The total weight of my panniers and their contents weigh 30-35 pounds. When running front & back panniers the bike handles well no matter what I put in each.

BTW: It's rarely done out on the road from I've observed and as can be surmised here.
You are confusing cubic capacity with mass. Heavy items need to go low and in the front. Light bulky items need to go high and on the rear. I pay some attention to weight distribution, but don't get anal about it. On several shorter tours I have only used my front panniers with a rack bag in the rear. Quite often I will go out with a full set of bags, but only loaded half way. Everyone has their own way of doing things.

I did a transcontinental in 1977 using rear bags and a handle bar bag. I am sure if someone saw that rig today they would tell me I was doing it all wrong. It wasn't balanced particularly well, but it got me across the country.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon