Old 10-18-15, 10:19 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4820 Post(s)
Liked 3,946 Times in 2,567 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
Hi Ben,

I've heard "a" story of the Avocet (Ofmega) touring crankset breaking, and I think it was a different experience than yours- I seem to recall the break coming in the spider.

I've known that Avocet made (or had made for them) lots of different bicycle parts- the saddles being THE most prominent. I've had a couple sets of hubs and admired the seatposts. I had one set of hubs that was AMAZINGLY smooth- but those went with another bike, the ones I have now are "nice." I've also got a really cool Avocet wool jersey.

When I was in the market for the triple for this bike- I zeroed in on the Avocet crankset- (more or less because it was "Avocet") when I got it in hand, it's so finely sculpted- you get a sense of that "aero" thing that Ofmega was shooting for- especially in comparison to the Stronglight with the blocky arms. Your warning is good call to make sure to check it over from time to time.

Thank you.
I never saw the Avocet hubs. Used to ride an Avocet seat and put a ton of miles on it. (The Avocet seats were made by Selle Italia, a company that had made good seats a long, long time.) So I can't say that all Avocet stuff is bad, but my experience with the seatposts and cranksets has been poor.

Ben