View Single Post
Old 10-19-15, 11:17 AM
erig007

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Hmm, here I thought experiencing sweat first-hand would qualify me for knowing how I sweat better than doing a youtube search. Live and learn, I suppose...

But then you've got that "Ws skin wettedness factor" in your equation. If sweat comes out of the body as steam, it would have to condense on the skin to produce that wet stuff I've been calling sweat for the past several decades. Wouldn't that imply sweat heats the body up due to the latent heat of vaporization (which seems to be missing from your equation)?

Not to mention that the entire equation only makes sense if not all the sweat escapes as vapor.

Bottom line seems to be vapor-permeable fabrics work best in cool and/or dry air, and they work best when the body's not producing much sweat.
The full equation is more complicated than that i just gave the part related to this topic.
The total evaporative heat loss is the latent heat, Esk is just part of it.

You can split the sweat in 2 types (at least) extrinsic sweat/intrinsic sweat or sensible perspiration/insensible perspiration or whatever you want to call it. One depends on the effort the other one doesn't. One is noticed by the body the other one isn't.
http://www.biology-online.org/dictio...e_perspiration
http://blog.lili.farm/pages/e/evapor...cooling-sweat/

When the air around your skin get saturated with water (if you wear a garbage bag or if the amount of sweat you produce is too high for the gear you're wearing for instance) your skin won't be able to produce steam anymore and you'll start dripping sweat instead.
When water saturation pressure increase at a given temperature steam becomes water, the lower the temperature the quicker it happens.
Water Saturation Pressure

Last edited by erig007; 10-21-15 at 09:11 PM.