Old 10-19-15, 06:17 PM
DeDeMort

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What if my bike won't fit on the bus rack? (commuting from Santa Cruz, CA to Bay Aea)

I posted this to the Northern California group, but someone suggested that I also post to Commuting.

I want to commute from Santa Cruz, CA, to Mountain View, CA, by taking the 17 Express to link up with Caltrain (ambitious and time-consuming, but possible). Being able to bicycle part of the route is key, but I'm almost sure that my bicycle will not fit on the bus bike rack because my bike has fenders and a "foot forward" design. Feel free to chuckle, but I like my bike and it serves me well.

I've read that they will allow a couple of bicycles on the inside of the bus if it's not too crowded. But I don't want to annoy people. And I don't want to be that person who is holding up the bus because I can't figure out how to get my bike on the rack.

I'm wondering if there are any regular 17 Express commuters out there who can advise on whether I'm likely to be able to bring my bike on the bus, or if I should consider investing in another bicycle. I really love my bike and would prefer to use it for my commute.

Or maybe you've had experience commuting on similar bikes and can advise. My bike is an Electra Amsterdam Ladies 3i (with a rear rack).

Thanks!
DeDe