Old 10-20-15, 11:57 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by El Gato27
So I’ve been slowly overhauling my ’92 Nishiki hybrid to use as a short “touring” bike, to see how I feel about touring. Planning some short 25-40 mile out and back overnighters to some state parks around here.

Got to the rear hub last night and noticed it had a 13-28 7-speed hyperglide cassette. Was wondering if I should change it out to something with a larger range? And will any 7-speed hyperglide cassette just drop in and work with my present drivetrain or would that involve additional upgrades—chain or derailleur?

Front crankset is 28-38-48.

Thanks.
You left out the most important part -- do you actually feel the need for lower gears? Have trouble climbing any hills currently?

That's what should drive any of these changes. Who knows -- if you've got more than enough range, you might even do what I did and go back toward tighter cassettes with closer spacing between gears. Unused gears at the extreme ends of the range that result in big jumps between gears don't help anyone.

If nothing else, I have an almost unused 13-34T "K" cassette that I'm looking to get rid of. Flexible on the price.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498