View Single Post
Old 10-21-15, 03:31 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1071 Post(s)
Liked 804 Times in 511 Posts
Originally Posted by NYMXer
I just learned about the energy gels for supplementation during long rides. After some personal research, I bought "e Gel" because they are caffeine free, contain electrolytes and have 150 calories. So far, I am happy with the product but truthfully, I can not compare to other similar ones because I never tried them. I take one before a ride with water and sometimes one during a ride with more water.
I also make my own energy drink for riding from 3 tablespoons honey and about the same apple cider vinegar diluted in 20 oz of water. I don't use other drinks and sometimes might just take along an extra bottle of plain water.

So, with that said, what do you use, how often and why (brand A vrs others)? Do you use your brand out of convenience or ingredients? Any other riding drink secrets?
After using the others, I now use e-gel because of the better consistency and greater amount of available ingredients. For caffeine I use Cliff Shot Chocolate Cherry-100mg of caf. The e-gel was my main source of fuel during 2014 Ironman Florida's 112 miles done non stop.