View Single Post
Old 10-21-15, 04:57 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5833 Post(s)
Liked 2,664 Times in 1,482 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad
I have a 28mm Conti Super Sport tire on my back wheel. It is a bear to install and the bead does not completely seat in one spot so I have a slight hitch in my getalong.
When any tire doesn't seat well, the first suspect is that something is keeping it from settling. This can be an overly wide or thick rim tape, a bit of the tube trapped under the bead and against the rim, or something wrong with the rim. Otherwise the natural tendency of a bead is to settle, especially one that is tight.

I hate to have you struggle to remove and remount this tire, but that may be the only remedy. When mounting, follow these hints for an easier, lore reliable install.

1- pre-inflate tube to give it shape, but not enough to stretch it.
2- stuff inflated tube well up into the tire, and push it across so it's supported by the rim and the tire is lying against the outside face.
3- start OPPOSITE the valve, and work the tire onto the rim in both directions working toward the valve.
4- when it gets hard, let some air out so the tube is limp.
5- go back opposite the valve, push the tire to the center of the rim where it's deepest, and push tire in and forward so all slack moves toward the valve.
6- if you do this right you should be able to push the tire over without tools (OK to go back and try to push more slack forward, if necessary).
7- push valve in to pull out any tube that might have been trapped by that lest section of tire, then gently pull it back out to settle the tube inside the tire., then inflate, chec, and inflate to full pressure.

If it takes you longer to do the above than it took me to type it, you're doing something wrong.

Good luck.

BTW- while you have it off inspect the rim for crooked mis-located rim tape, and/or anything else that may be in the way.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.