View Single Post
Old 10-23-15, 01:27 PM
bikenh

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Impressive- this is an average of 47 miles per day every single day for 3.5 years.
An average of 3.5-4 hours of riding every day for over 1200 days- that's seriously getting after it.
Give up driving, stop owning a car and live 30 miles roundtrip from the nearest decent grocery store and you'll quickly start to ride the miles. Add in 17,309 miles of open road bike tripping/touring in the past 4 years and it adds up quite quickly. By the end of the bike trip this summer I had a 365 day total of 23,459 miles. It's back down to just under 22,500 miles right now. Hoping to have 22,000 miles for this year alone.

As for speed. I can routinely hit 40 around my house and do it all the time. On the multi-speed to fixed gear convert I love hitting 40. I always know when I hit 40 mph, it feels different. Yeah, I'm riding 52x17 so I can still climb the hills but I can also descend down them without having to put on the brakes. I've been over 50 once and almost hit 50 this summer down in CT on the bike trip. I was shocked to find something faster on a state/federal highway than what I have here in NH. I have one spot 6-7 miles from my house that used to be the fastest descent in the NE 1/4 of the United States at 48.7 mph. That changed this summer. The biggest shock this summer was hitting 35.6 mph just east of Tallahassee, FL. I figured if I were to get down around Claremont, FL I might be able to get going that fast but anywhere else in FL, not a chance. Boy, was I wrong.